Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ellie's 6th birthday party

For Ellie's 6th birthday, we had a small Sofia the First-themed tea party. Initially, we were going to have a picnic in our backyard, but the weather was a little questionable, so we moved it inside.
 
The table

The place setting, with tiaras and fans

Decorations were simple, but nice. I made a doily garland and we had fresh flowers and a few banners and tissue paper flowers. I even kept the food simple... most of it was store-bought, like mini quiches and sandwich rolls. I did make edible teacups filled with fruit, and my homemade cheese crackers that I make for almost every party.

The adults ate more than the kids
The guests arrived and went out to the porch for our first activity, a craft. We started with the painting so that the paint would dry by the time the girls went home.
The girls painted tea cups and saucers
When they were done painting, I sent them on a scavenger hunt around the backyard for Sofia's amulets, one for each. They had fun running around, helping each other find their necklaces.

Posing with their amulets.
 Then they moved inside to dance to music from the Sofia soundtrack.
They danced... a lot
As with little girls, there is always a little bit of drama, so after the dancing got a little crazy, I pulled out my "maybe" activity to settle them down before cake time. They built sugar cube towers, and it turned out to be their favorite activity in the party! I really was surprised, because it was a "just in case" game. I was very thankful that I had it up my sleeve!
Building sugar cube towers

Katie was thrilled to be included in her big sister's party
 After the sugar cube game, we cut the cake, and then Ellie opened her gifts.

We sent her friends home with their painted tea cups and saucers, their tiaras, teacup drinks, and fans. And the birthday girl had a great time! The party was small, simple, and just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment