Saturday, November 22, 2014

Turkeys Turkeys everywhere

If you need a few craft ideas to keep the kids busy while they wait for Thanksgiving dinner, here are a few turkey crafts we've made over the past week. 

Sticky foam turkeys... Anthony's is, um, deconstructed. I cut the feathers and other pieces from sticky back foam board. The kids did the rest. I also wrote the outline for the words on Katie's. She's really into tracing letters lately. 

I know you'll be too busy preparing dinner to bother with decorating sugar cookies, but I had to share these because this post is all about turkeys, after all... I used a hand-shaped cookie cutter and decorated these chai spice sugar cookies to look like turkeys! They were enjoyed at Ellie's school Thanksgiving feast. I still am not the best at making decorated cookies and find the task to be quite tedious, but I always remember this halfway through the process. Oops. 

We also painted with pinecones instead of brushes... What does this have to do with turkeys?!
Well, we used the painted paper to make turkeys of course! 

Katie made the classic turkey handprint at school. I just gotta show it off. Plus it's a really cute craft. 

Another fun thing we did was a feather scavenger hunt, an idea I got from the No Time for Flashcards blog. I hid different colored feathers around the living room, and the girls searched high and low for them. 
They enjoyed this activity very much... We hid them over and over! 
They counted out their feathers to make sure they had found them all. I had 9 feathers for each girl, and they were only allowed to have one of each color, which encouraged them to help each other find the colors they needed. 
The game lasted about an hour. When they got tired, they made pinecone turkeys with their feathers and some more foam board. 

I love these crafts. They're fun to make, and now that I have all these cute turkeys, we can use them to add a little whimsy to the Thanksgiving decor. 

Happy Thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment