Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas Surprise Cake

Ellie's first grade class had an Advent Fiesta today. Weeks ago, a sign-up sheet was posted on the door of the classroom for parents to commit to bringing all the items needed for the fiesta. I quickly scanned the sheet, debating whether I wanted to cook enchiladas or bake cookies or just go the easy route by buying water bottles or paper goods. Then I saw it. The blank line next to the words "Christmas Cake." And before I could realize how crazy and overcommitted I was in the late-night holiday crafting department, I had scrawled Ellie's name on the line. A Christmas cake. That can't be too hard, right?! Worst case, I pick up a sheet cake with poinsettias at Kroger at the last minute... 

I brainstormed for a few days in between knitting and doing gingerbread house interior design, and then I got a brilliant idea for this cake. It would be simple but still have that "wow" factor. As soon as I sketched it out, I got excited. I couldn't wait to make it. I even wrote "Yes!" In big letters on my paper.

And on Monday, I began to turn my sketch into a cake. 
It started as a simple square of white chocolate mud cake from a recipe in my Planet Cake book. I trimmed the tops and sides to make the edges sharp. Then I covered it all with chocolate ganache. 
The ganache is an excellent medium for making those perfect edges. I had never used it before, and it was totally worth it! I have never made a smoother or sharper cake before. I also made that hole in the middle for a surprise that would take this cake to the next level...
I put a fondant baby Jesus inside! Ellie's school strives to observe Advent and celebrate Christmas during the appropriate liturgical seasons, so needless to say, the cake for the party needed to connect to the real meaning of Christmas. I wondered for a moment if anybody would balk at the idea of eating "Baby Jesus," but then I remembered that we are Catholic, so it's all good! 
I used a garlic press to make the hay for the manger and my fingers to make the rest. And I made sure to insulate the hole with ganache and fondant in hopes of keeping moisture to a minimum. On the drive to school with the cake, I got really worried that moisture had gotten trapped in there and that Baby Jesus would be goo when we cut open the cake. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make Him out of modeling chocolate, just to give myself some peace of mind. 
Next, I made a gumpaste hole cover to keep the fondant that would cover the entire cake from collapsing on Baby Jesus. And I made bows to place on top of the cake... Two just to have a back-up if one broke. I ended up being glad I had an extra one because I borrowed some loops from it to fill in some gaps in the one that made it onto the cake. 
Then it was time to cover the cake. I accidentally bought cinnamon bun-flavored Fondarific brand fondant... It tasted great, but it was terrible to work with. After many failed attempts, Paul finally rolled it out and helped me successfully cover the cake. 
Two strips of "ribbon" placed across the cake and then the bow made the gift-cake almost ready!
A tag completed the look, and the cake was ready!
At the party, the kids gathered around the table, and I cut into the cake-present:
The gasps, the "ooohs" and "aaahs" all made it pretty clear to me that this cake was a success. Everything went perfectly. Parents took pictures, and the kids lined up to peek inside (and then get their own pieces of cake to enjoy!). Many asked if they could eat Baby Jesus, and Ellie proudly explained to the adults at her table how her mommy had made the cake. 
Once it was all over, even less of the cake than this was left, and we sent the fondant Jesus home with the mom of a girl from class who couldn't be at school today because she was sick. 

It could not have worked better, and everyone seemed to love it. That's the most gratifying part of making my cakes. 


1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful Susie! You are truly talented! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete