Thursday, February 12, 2015

Conversation Hearts

Ellie had her class Valentine party today, and I signed up to make the cupcakes. I had seen on Pinterest that if you combine a can of soda with a box of cake, you get moist yummy cupcakes, so I had to try it out. I mixed strawberry soda with vanilla cake and chocolate cake too. Not bad, but they seem a little... Smooshy. Too soft. Need more texture, more bite, more crumbs... So I probably won't be making soda cupcakes again. Good to know, though, if you're in a pinch and ran out of oil or eggs. 
I looked on Pinterest for unique ideas for decorating the cupcakes, but nothing really stood out to me. I mean, how many ways can one reinvent the heart? 
So I made fondant conversation hearts to top the cupcakes. Simple but cute. Fondant because it tastes better than real conversation hearts (just a little), and because I could customize them. 
I got creative with the messages, since technically it is SAINT Valentine's (Feast) Day, and Ellie goes to a Catholic school...
And when she comes home, I'll find out if they were well-received!

Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment