Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The end of summer

School has been back in session for about a month now, so this post is a little late, but between, you know, school starting, and Paul's 3 weeks in Africa, life has been... Crazy. So crazy that I had originally planned on calling the last few weeks of summer "Wacky Weeks," but the truth is that I lost my ability to make life interesting for the kids, and any sort of regular creative craft or activity I could think of just wasn't appealing to any of us. So they played lots of Legos and Barbies and cars. And they fought and we all drove each other nuts, and I counted the minutes until school and a routine would start again. 

I did, however, manage to throw together a few random fun things here and there. 
Like this meatloaf and mashed potatoes "cake."

And this veggie pie I had seen on Pinterest and wanted to make forever. 
It was ok. Not awesome. Looks yummier than it was. 

We made something neat using these materials, thanks to inspiration from a little girl called Mayhem. 

Katie's paper dress was made mostly by me. But she loved wearing it. 

Ellie worked hard on hers. She loved seeing Mayhem's pictures. 

Posing with attitude!

We put some streaks of color in our hair. 

We blew unpoppable bubbles. 

We painted our nails. 

We played in crazy sand. 

We made stop-motion movies, which were really cool and fun to make. 

  
And we made ice grow. I still don't know how that works, but it was awesome. 
 

It was a great summer, and I even cried on Ellie's first day of First Grade (you'd think I'd be over that!), but I am also glad school has started (for both girls). I'm the kind of mom who likes to move forward and embrace each milestone and step of the journey of raising little humans; we don't look back much around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment