Friday, January 16, 2015

What I've been up to

Time for a catch-up post. After the holidays, I took a little while to get back into my groove. But now my New Year's resolutions have finally kicked in, and I'm ready to take on all sorts of projects. 

Not that I have been entirely idle. I did a little work for hire for a Frozen party... Just some cake decorations, nothing huge. 
Gumpaste snowflakes (Elsa is a plastic toy, but I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to make her at some point this year!)
And a sugar icy palace. I'm not in love with the sugar ice shards (and I made some sharper gumpaste ones too for my client), but I'm figuring out how to work with different mediums, so it was a good learning opportunity. 
The party is this weekend, and I am looking forward to seeing the final pictures of the cake.
UPDATE: here it is!


I also got to test out my airbrush on these cute little guys. 
We have a long-standing silly joke/gift exchange with some friends. They gave us a, um, lovely pewter serving dish shaped like a crab for our wedding, and ever since then, we have been exchanging crustaceans at Christmas. So this year, I made them some "pets."
In a bowl, with graham cracker crumb "sand" and a tree. 
Two because they have two kids who I'm sure will enjoy eating these little guys. 

And in non-cake-related crafting... I actually made this tooth pillow a few months ago in anticipation of Ellie's first lost tooth, and she finally got to use it! 
Of course she was super excited, even tried to set a trap to catch the Tooth Fairy. 
Instead of finding the fairy in her trap, she got a book (which was so perfect, like it had been written for her), a glittery $2 bill, and a tiny note (written with a very sharp pencil) that she could actually read. 

I have also been working on a cloth book for Anthony, but it's slow-going. I would like to have it done for his birthday, but I don't know if I can pull it off. After all, I also need to start his cake and party preparations soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment