Sunday, April 19, 2015

Anthony's Quiet Book

Lately, all three kids have been playing a lot with Katie's quiet book (which miraculously still has all its pieces), so I knew I needed to finally finish Anthony's. It was going to be his Christmas gift... Or birthday gift... But I got delayed, so it became a random Sunday in April gift because I finally sat down with my sewing machine last night and put it all together. I am not very good at sewing with a machine; only the page edges and cover are machine-sewn (and not anywhere close to perfect). All the details are hand-sewn, which is what I prefer anyway. I wish I was better with the machine, but I'm too lazy to seek perfection in that area. Measuring and pinning take too much time. So I've been piecing each page together since last fall, sewing after bed time on the couch, between cakes and other crafts, of course. And I like what I made. More importantly, he likes it too. 

You want to see it too?

The cover. The picture doesn't show the right shade of blue; it's a smidge darker and less gray. I closed it with a big button and a loop of elastic. 

Road sign page: signs, shapes, colors,  attached with velcro. 

City page: 2 toy cars can park in the "garage" and drive all over town. 

Car page: lift the hood, spin the wheels, pull out your tool box to work on the car. 

Gotta have tools too!

Fire station. 

Ladder turns and expands, dalmatian comes out of the truck, and the "hose" can be pulled back and forth. 

Dress the firefighter in his gear. 

Construction site: digger lifts the dirt. 

Look what's in the dirt! And the dump truck can dump the load. 

Number train. 

Lift the flaps and count. 
I had so much fun finding all the different buttons. 

Farm page. 

Cows in the barn come out to graze. Bird peeks out too. 

Harvest your veggies!

Ocean page. 

The boat is a puzzle!

Fisherman Anthony catches some colorful fish and puts them in his bucket. 

Airport page. Lots going on. 

Helicopter flies to the sky. The luggage carrier takes luggage to the plane. The plane's cargo bay holds the luggage. Ready to fly!

Last page: space. 

Unzip with the rocket to see its fiery blast-off. 

And the cutest astronaut does his space walk (printable iron-on transfer paper is so cool!). 

I am so happy to have finished this labor of love for my sweet boy. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Jillian Blakeman sent me your way. She's my daughter. I love this book! I would love to make something similar for my grandkids. Did you just make up everything you put in it or is there a pattern available somewhere? You are so creative! I look forward to following you and seeing your crafty projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki! Thanks for stopping by! I did not use a pattern; I made everything up. I got a lot of ideas from Pinterest, but then I made my own version of them. I have seen patterns for quiet books on different blogs. This one is awesome: http://www.imagineourlife.com/2012/06/29/quiet-book-pages-january-june/

      Delete