Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Easter making

I walked into the church this morning, and the scent of flowers flooded my nose. Gold banners hung around the crucifix. Pink hydrangeas and Easter lilies adorned the steps of the altar (and everywhere else!). The complete opposite of the dreary sadness I felt when I walked into church before Palm Sunday and was stunned to see the cross already veiled in black. But now... Happy Easter! He is risen! No more sadness or tears. The church looked and smelled like victory, and I couldn't help but smile. 

We participated in the Triduum in our own ways, like making wooden people to play out the Passion story. 




And the girls went with me to a Good Friday liturgy because they wanted to venerate the cross. They were very tired when we got home an hour and a half past bedtime, but they said they liked going.

Katie had an Easter egg hunt last weeek at school, and I always have extra yarn, so I made her a basket, on a whim. 

And For Easter Sunday, we gathered with family to celebrate Easter and 3 April birthdays, so a special cake was in order. 
I made a special cake topper for cousin Charlie, who was turning 2 and wouldn't be having any extra celebrations (unlike Ellie and David who will have "friend" parties later in the month). 
An Easter puppy made with modeling chocolate!
My first time to pipe basket weaving. 
The finished cake! Chocolate bunnies with fondant party hats, the puppy, giant jelly beans, and a cake ball "egg" under the puppy. 

And because I've always wanted to make boo-boo bunnies, I put these together and shipped them along with a few other goodies to some sweet kiddos we know and love.

Of course we had our egg hunt after Mass, and our kids got some fun and yummy goodies too. Indoors because it was raining. 







And we unsealed our oven to taste the sweetness of our resurrection cookies. 

Then we let out the Alleluia we had "buried" and made "Alleluia" bracelets. 


Yay Easter! I am currently working on Ellie's birthday cake, and then I have another cake to make after that... Then I might take a little break! I've been busy!

All these Easter things were rewarding and fun to make, and they helped me get into the spirit of the most important holiday of the year. Alleluia! Rejoice!





1 comment: