Monday, May 18, 2015

Baby Cake

It is so fun to find out the sex of a baby; I remember we couldn't wait to know about our three... I was never very good at guessing, though. The only one I was right about was Anthony. Not big on surprises or secrets, we shared the news pretty quickly with all our friends and family. I don't mind being in on someone else's surprise though! 


My friend Kristen is pregnant with her second child, and she asked if I could make a smash cake for big sister Harper to help reveal the sex of baby #2 to the world. I was eager to help, though a little nervous about the timetable because the sonogram was on Wednesday and the reveal was on Thursday... not a lot of time to bake pink or blue! (Fun fact: I just went ahead and baked one of each color!) The other tricky thing was that Kristen wanted to be surprised by the cake along with everyone else, so the ultrasound tech texted me the result and then deleted the text from her phone!

No suspense here... this was the inside of the cake. 
 

They wanted the cake to be simple and white on the outside with the colorful cake and icing inside for a cool reveal, and then because the cake would be smashed and not really shareable, I made a dozen cupcakes too. Some pink, some blue, all with the right colored icing inside. That way people could choose a cupcake based on their guess and then bite in to see if they were right.




I put a decoy of both colored sprinkles between icing layers, and it totally worked! In the video, Kristen says, "I see both colors!" Awesome!


I wasn't able to go to the big reveal (sick kiddo), but I got to see a surprised mommy and a happy daddy (and a confused toddler) on video. I'm so glad I got to help create this fun moment for a lovely, growing little family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment