Saturday, March 7, 2015

A New Creation

Today, the Littles and I made a Lenten craft. They might not grasp all the symbolism behind it, but that won't stop me from talking about Jesus with them and hopefully planting the seeds of faith in their hearts. 

We started with a black bumpy lump (that kinda looks like a sheep!) It's dark, like sin. Black and not so nice to look at (don't mind the bits of paint at the top; I took this picture a little too late). Let's see what Jesus, the Good Shepherd does for His sheep! 
Jesus died for us and washed away our sins (with His blood), so we used red pompoms to sponge white paint over the black lumpy sheep. I actually didn't go into much detail with them since they are only 2 and 3. We just talked about Jesus making the darkness go away and replacing it with His bright light. 
After the paint dried, we added eyes and legs and ears, and our sheep was a new creation in Christ! Here's Katie's*
This was a simple activity that my usually craft-resistant Littles actually liked doing (probably because they love painting and always end up painting their hands once they're done with paper!). 

*Take another look at Katie's sheep. It's an aerial view of a sheep. When I cut out the shapes, I had intended the sheep to be looking to the side, only needing one eye, one ear on the front and the other poking up from the back, and all legs on the bottom, but my Katie sees things in her own way, and she put together her sheep as if she was looking down to it. Or maybe as God looks down from Heaven. I am in awe at the way God uses Katie to challenge my perspective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment