Monday, March 16, 2015

Mercy

Another way we prepare ourselves for Easter is by performing some of the acts of mercy, and the corporal acts of mercy are more tangible to the kids, so we have focused on those, specifically:
  • To feed the hungry
  • To give drink to the thirsty
  • To clothe the naked
Which means we are back to handing out bags of useful items for the homeless people we see on our drive home from school. Ellie made some cards that she placed in each bag, and we hope that she helps brighten their days.


I always feel sad when I see these people on the street corners. Sad and helpless because I really don't know what else I can do to help them. 

We also went through our toys and clothes, and I was overwhelmed by our surplus. Everything is still in good shape, yet we don't need so much, so I hope these things can bless other people who need them more than we do. Plus it was so cathartic to declutter!


Truthfully, we should be doing works of mercy throughout the year and not just during Lent, especially since my kids go through stages of ungratefulness several times in a year. Lately I've been struggling with managing the ennui of the privileged that my kids have been displaying (maybe more on that later if I am up for baring my soul), and I am frustrated with the fact that life can feel so difficult despite the fact that we have our every need met and then some. 

As for me, I need a little more of the Spiritual Works of Mercy in practice in my life. I totally lost my cool with my kids several times today. They haven't been perfect, but neither have I, and I have a hard time recovering from the all-too-frequent moments when they cause me to lose my temper. I'm normally not this on edge, so something's gotta give. I need to remember that it is an act of mercy
  • To bear wrongs patiently
  • To forgive offenses willingly
We made beaded crosses today, and the initial intent was to make sacrifice beads too, like St. Therese of Lisieux, but the girls just wanted to string beads for necklaces. 

I, however, did make some sacrifice beads because I think I need them to help me adjust my attitude this Spring Break. It didn't start out very well, and if I'm going to stay mad at these kids, it'll be a really long week. I'd much rather enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment